In a few weeks I will be turning 28.
The past year had been stormy, heartbreaking, gratifying, and liberating all at the same time. I had my share of heartbreaks, learned a few things, accomplished some, and made a few worthwhile discoveries along the way.
Before I turn a year older, I would like to share a few things which had made me a year wiser – these are nothing more than the ramblings of a girl who lives inside her head most of the time – and some things which afforded me a few laughs here and there. So here goes.
I spent my 27th year…
1. attending my high school 10th year reunion.
2. learning how to swim.
3. dressing up for three weddings – my brother’s included.
4. learning that decent guys are a rare breed.
5. hoarding books.
6. visiting the melancholic mountains again, after two years.
7. trying to forgive myself. 🙂
8. hitting the jogging oval during summer afternoons.
9. attempting to get drunk. Beer and margaritas, anyone?
10. allowing myself some spiritual growth.
11. baking! Muffins, cupcakes, sweet rolls, and chocolate desserts.
12. helping organize my best friend’s wedding.
13. meeting up with friends for coffee/hot chocolate/tea and very deep conversations.
14. learning that mothers are not perfect, but you can love them with your whole heart anyway.
15. wishing I could spend a week in Europe.
16. failing to attend at least one of two very important weddings of two of my girlfriends, held on the same date, with the same color motif, but oceans and miles apart. 😦
17. making new friendships and deepening old ones. Though I have to say that some friendships have gone sour, too.
18. going out on a date, flirting with a player, and discovering that pointless dating, flirting, and playing are just that – pointless. (!)
19. hoarding summery, frilly tops. It’s perpetually summer in the country when there are no rains.
20. obsessing over my skin. When you’re nearing thirty you better have some strict skin care regimen to keep those pores from expanding and those dark eye circles from magically appearing during odd snapshot moments. (Wait, did I just say thirty? How did I get so old all of a sudden? :-()
20. witnessing drunk girls striptease-ing at some lousy bar for some lousy prize money. The things that alcohol makes you do, tsk.
21. going gaga over Glee!
22. trying to keep my weight down. I’d like to think I’m doing good. Bye bye McDonalds!
23. curbing my shopaholic tendencies.
24. wanting to be a pastry chef.
25. allowing myself a good cry when I need to.
26. Facebooking and blogging. Haha.
27. discovering, through Paulo Coelho, that true freedom is not a place, a hobby, or a person. “The true experience of freedom is having the most important thing in the world without owning it.”
Happy birthday to me. 🙂